Current Event #3 T3 “George Takei: At least during my internment, I was not taken from my parents”

In summary of the article “George Takei: At least during my internment, I was not taken from my parents” by Jennifer Hansler, an American actor by the name of George Takei draws comparisons between his own childhood experiences of the Japanese internment camps and the Trump administration's "zero-tolerance" policy. He pointed out that even during internment most families weren't separated, yet in this new policy thousands of children’s parents have been deported and forced to leave the country. George Takei thinks that it doesn’t take much for political leaders to convince themselves of the virtues of a policy such as an interment or the zero-tolerance policy. And since a democratic president approved internment, he states that it is not subject to a particular political party. Even the former first lady, Laura Bush, could see the similarities between the two terrible instances. She wrote "These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in US history," in her op-ed for The Washington Post.
In my opinion, no one should be splitting up loving parents from their children anywhere, for any reason. Sometimes family is all someone has, and when you take that away you succeed at taking away everything. The similarities between this Zero-Tolerance policy and Japanese internment is uncanny and disgusting. Aren't we supposed to learn from history so we don’t repeat it? I think this policy should be eradicated immediately and that the families should be reunited. Although that may be difficult to achieve, I believe in America. But that’s just my opinion. What’s yours?

Hansler, Jennifer. "George Takei: At Least during My Internment, I Was Not Taken from My Parents." CNN. June 19, 2018. Accessed May 03, 2019. https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/politics/george-takei-family-separation-op-ed/index.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Event #1 T3 “Not only is Aquaman from Maine, Captain Marvel is, too”

Current Event #2 T3 “Instead Of Wrestling A Girl, High Schooler Chooses To Forfeit State Wrestling Match”

Current Event #6 T2 "Bill Introduced to Forgive Student Loans After Five Years in Maine"